It has been 13 years since 9/11, and America’s wars show no signs of ending. The country is now at war, either openly or covertly, in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, Somalia, Yemen and who knows where else. President Obama recently made it clear that there is no place in the world that the US will not intervene to achieve its objectives.
We wanted to find out what public opinion is towards this state of perpetual warfare. Do citizens support this, or do they want it to end? Is this now the new “normal?” To find out, we did some spontaneous, random interviews at the University of North Carolina campus in Greensboro NC. As we expected, many of the college students were informed and adamant in their responses. There was a range of opinions, not always in agreement. Do they have it right? What do you think?
What makes the terrorists hate Americans so much that they want to kill us, and are willing to die themselves to do it? Should we believe it is because they are evil religious fanatics who “hate our freedoms,” or is there another reason? We heard a range of opinions from people on the street in this video sequence. Do they have it right? What do you think?
We have organized our blog posts into four categories that we think will enlighten, inform and provide ideas on how you can continue to learn more about the topics covered in the Seizing Power documentary. Our goal is to engage people in the conversation and provide opportunities to be a part of the solution. It is time we “Take Back Our Power!”
Word On The Street Our camera crews have been going out to the streets to hear what the people have to say. We’ve asked questions such as:
- Do you feel that our efforts to “combat” terrorism by invading and occupying other countries has made us safer, or do you think we are creating more enemies, and why?
- What do you know about Drone Warfare?
- Do you believe it is acceptable for civilians to be killed as result of attacking militants – so called “collateral damage”?
- What are your thoughts on protecting whistleblowers?
- What do you think about the amount of money the government spends on the military?
- Do you feel it is worth the impact the funding of these wars is having on our economy and domestic needs – education, health, and social service?
- Where do you get your news? Check back to hear what the people have to say ….
Time To Start The Conversation Each of these series of posts will begin with a short video clip of one of people we have interviewed for the documentary. We will use our interviewee’s perspective to explore different topic areas, and then leave you with some provocative questions to help launch a conversation.
Take Back Your Power We will keep you informed of upcoming conferences, events, and legislation coming up in congress that are critical for us to learn about, and share our opinions on. Check out our Take Action page to hear what some of our interviewees have to say about what the individual citizen can do to take action!
In The Know These blog posts will focus on current events and our commentary about what is happening in the world. Basically, this is our “catch all” category and opportunity to talk about whatever is capturing our attention today that we want to share with you.